Student Records

Confidentiality of Student Records

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) afford eligible students certain rights with respect to their education records. An “eligible student” under FERPA is a student who is 18 years of age or older or who attends a postsecondary institution. These rights include:

  1. The right to inspect and review the student's education records within 45 days after the day the St. Louis Community College (STLCC) receives a request for access. A student should submit to the registrar, dean, head of the academic department, or another appropriate official, a written request that identifies the record(s) the student wishes to inspect. The school official will make arrangements for access and notify the student of the time and place where the records may be inspected. If the records are not maintained by the school official to whom the request was submitted, that official shall advise the student of the correct official to whom the request should be addressed.
  2. The right to request the amendment of the student’s education records that the student believes is inaccurate, misleading, or otherwise in violation of the student’s privacy rights under FERPA. A student who wishes to ask the school to amend a record should write the school official responsible for the record, clearly identify the part of the record the student wants changed, and specify why it should be changed. If the school decides not to amend the record as requested, the school will notify the student in writing of the decision and the student’s right to a hearing regarding the request for amendment. Additional information regarding the hearing procedures will be provided to the student when notified of the right to a hearing.
  3. The right to provide written consent before the university discloses personally identifiable information (PII) from the student's education records, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent. The school discloses education records without a student’s prior written consent under the FERPA exception for disclosure to school officials with legitimate educational interests. A school official is a person employed by STLCC in an administrative, supervisory, academic, research, or support staff position (including law enforcement unit personnel and health staff); a person serving on the board of trustees; or a student serving on an official committee, such as a disciplinary or grievance committee. A school official also may include a volunteer or contractor outside of STLCC who performs an institutional service of function for which the school would otherwise use its own employees and who is under the direct control of the school with respect to the use and maintenance of PII from education records, such as an attorney, auditor, or collection agent or a student volunteering to assist another school official in performing his or her tasks. A school official has a legitimate educational interest if the official needs to review an education record in order to fulfill his or her professional responsibilities for STLCC.

The right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education concerning alleged failures by STLCC to comply with the requirements of FERPA. The name and address of the Office that administers FERPA is:

Family Policy Compliance Office
U.S. Department of Education
400 Maryland Avenue, SW
Washington, DC 20202

For more information about records and information that may or may not be disclosed and other information regarding the confidentiality of student records, please refer to Administrative Procedure G.14

Credit for Prior Learning

St. Louis Community College participates in several programs designed to evaluate educational experiences obtained through nontraditional college programs. These programs are designed to assist the college and the student to equate previously acquired knowledge in terms of college credit. Students should be advised that different colleges use different policies on the acceptance of Credit for Prior Learning. St. Louis Community College cannot guarantee the transferability of prior learning credit that has been awarded by another institution. Credit is recorded on the student’s transcript and identified with “R” instead of a grade. Students are encouraged to consult with an academic advisor regarding the use of Credit for Prior Learning in their educational planning. Credit for Prior Learning (CPL) cannot be used toward the residency requirement for graduation.

Advanced Placement (AP)

Students who have successfully completed college-level courses while still in high school may be eligible for credit or placement if they make satisfactory scores on the Advanced Placement Examination sponsored by the College Board. Participating high schools administer AP exams at the end of the course. Students interested in college credit or advanced placement should have the official test scores sent to the Registrar’s office. College credit is granted for students earning a minimum score of three on the exam.  The most updated list of currently accepted AP tests and score requirements are on the Registrar's webpage.

College Level Examination Program (CLEP)

The College Level Examination Program (CLEP) is designed to evaluate your college-level learning, no matter how or where the learning took place. CLEP examinations, designed by the College Entrance Exam Board, are divided into two types, general and subject. St. Louis Community College will grant credit for subject exams. When the exam is similar in content to a course offered by St. Louis Community College, credit will be equated to a specific course. When no course equivalent exists at St. Louis Community College, credit may be granted as elective hours in the same field as the examination. Students who have college credit should note that credit will not be given for CLEP exams if the student has college credit for the equivalent course.  The most updated list of currently accepted CLEP tests and score requirements are on the Registrar's webpage.

Departmental Examinations

A student who has acquired subject matter knowledge taught in a particular course—by reading, job training, etc.—may petition to receive credit in a course by attempting an examination. The student should discuss with the appropriate department chairperson whether he/she is properly prepared to take the exam. The chairperson can refuse permission to a student who they feel is insufficiently prepared. Tutoring is not provided, nor is passing the exam guaranteed. The exam is graded on a pass-fail basis and no letter grade is given. The student’s transcript will show a grade symbol of “R”—credit by examination upon passing the exam. Students planning to transfer should know that some institutions do not accept credit by examination. Students who are considering St. Louis Community College departmental examinations may initiate this procedure by completing an Application for Departmental Proficiency Examination. Contact the department chair or appropriate faculty person for an application.

Industry Credentials

Students can earn credit for some courses by demonstrating knowledge received through earning industry credentials.  Students interested in receiving credit for this type of prior experience should provide a copy of a certificate of completed training, a lesson plan or training content (if available), dates of attendance, proficiency exam scores, and/or other applicable information to the department chair/program coordinator.  Demonstration of knowledge may also be required by some departments through department assessments.  Credit will only be awarded to training that has been completed within the last five years.  The most updated list of currently accepted Industry Certifications is on the Registrar's webpage. 

International Baccalaureate (IB)

Students who have successfully completed International Baccalaureate credit are encouraged to send their IB transcript to STLCC.  Students must arrange to have the scores of the IB exams sent from the International Baccalaureate Organization to STLCC.  There is no fee for posting this credit on a student's transcript.  The most updated list of currently accepted IB tests and score requirements is listed on the Registrar's webpage.

Military Educational and Training Credit

Military educational and training credit can be transcribed through the Community College of the Air Force (CCAF), the Army/American Council on Education Registry Transcript System (AARTS) and the Sailor/Marine American Council on Education Registry Transcript (SMART). Credit will be awarded based on the nature of the credit’s transcription, credit recommendations for military training schools, or ACE occupational credit recommendations.

Portfolio Evaluation

Students may request awarded credit for a course that does not have an established method for granting Credit for Prior Learning. In such instances, the student may submit a portfolio of work for review by a faculty member or department chair, as appropriate. The student will meet with the chair to complete the Approval of Alternative Credit for Prior Learning form, providing an outline of the requirements for the student.

National Student Clearinghouse Services

The college has contracted with the National Student Clearinghouse to provide services to third parties and to students. Third parties can obtain degree verification, verification of attendance, and current enrollment information on the National Student Clearinghouse webpage.

Students with access to Banner Self-Service can print enrollment verification certificates to send to health insurers, housing providers or other organizations requiring proof of enrollment.

Transcript Services

Official transcripts of grades and credit hours earned at the college are issued only by the Registrar’s office at this location and address:

Registrar's Office
St. Louis Community College
5600 Oakland Ave.
St. Louis, MO 63110

Transcripts may be requested by completing a transcript request online on the National Student Clearinghouse's webpage.

A $10 fee is required for each transcript. 

Students with access to Banner Self-Service may view grades and print unofficial transcripts.

Unofficial, free transcripts are available through the campus advising offices.

Transfer Credit

To be eligible for acceptance of previously earned credit, students must be enrolled at St. Louis Community College as degree or certificate-seeking, with a declared program of study.

Students should have official transcripts mailed to the Registrar’s office. Transcripts from other post-secondary institutions and military service will be evaluated. The College will evaluate transcripts from other accredited post-secondary institutions and military service for degree and pre-requisite requirements in the same manner as credits earned at the College. All equivalent credits in which passing grades have been earned will be accepted as they fulfill the College's program and degree requirements.

Accepted transfer credits will be included in the cumulative hours credit at STLCC. Grades earned at other institutions are not recorded and are not made part of the cumulative grade point average at STLCC.

The College is not obligated to accept another institution’s Credit(s) for Prior Learning (CPL), nor are other institutions obligated to accept CPL earned at STLCC.

A transfer student may invoke the college’s transfer appeals process, located in the Student Guide, to challenge institutional decisions on the acceptance of credit(s) from regionally accredited Missouri public colleges and universities or those that have been advanced to candidacy status by the Higher Learning Commission.

Transfer to Another School

Admission regulations for transfer students vary among receiving colleges and universities. Therefore, students planning to transfer credits to another college or university should contact the college or university prior to enrollment. Although the acceptance of credit is at the discretion of the transfer school, STLCC does have articulation agreements that can facilitate transfer. Generally, college transfer program courses will satisfy various department, elective, and degree requirements at receiving schools. Although career programs and courses are designed primarily to support the transition to work, some courses and programs are accepted by other colleges and universities. Students in career programs who plan to transfer should check with the receiving school to learn more about what will transfer.

Students who have completed the Missouri CORE 42 may request to have a statement added to their transcript to indicate as such by emailing

The following Missouri colleges are signatories of the Missouri CORE 42 agreement:

  • Avila University
  • Central Methodist University
  • Crowder College
  • East Central College
  • Harris-Stowe State University
  • Jefferson College
  • Lincoln University
  • Lindenwood University
  • Logan University
  • Metropolitan Community College
  • Mineral Area College
  • Missouri Baptist University
  • Missouri Southern State University
  • Missouri State University
  • Missouri State University-West Plains
  • Missouri University of Science & Technology
  • Missouri Western State University
  • Moberly Area Community College
  • North Central Missouri College
  • Northwest Missouri State University
  • Ozarks Technical Community College
  • Rockhurst University
  • Southeast Missouri State University
  • St. Charles Community College
  • St. Louis Community College
  • State Fair Community College
  • State Technical College of Missouri
  • Three Rivers College
  • Truman State University
  • University of Central Missouri
  • University of Missouri-Columbia
  • University of Missouri-Kansas City
  • University of Missouri-St. Louis