Surgical Technology, Certificate of Proficiency
This program prepares students for entry-level positions as surgical technologists. Students learn aseptic technique, instrumentation, surgical procedures and patient care through classroom, laboratory practice and at a clinical affiliate. Students learn to assist the surgeon by passing instruments and sutures, holding retractors and cutting sutures.
Persons interested in this program should be able to work well with others in a team environment. They should have good manual dexterity, enjoy the operating room situation, and function effectively under intense and stressful situations.
This program is CAAHEP accredited and graduates are qualified to take the National Certification Exam offered by the National Board of Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting (NBSTSA) to become a Certified Surgical Technologist (CST).
The following courses must be completed prior to applying for the program.
|MTH 030||Elementary Algebra||3|
|BIO 203||General Microbiology I||4|
|BIO 207||Anatomy and Physiology I||4|
Interested in this program? Start the enrollment process by visiting the Apply to STLCC page.
At the completion of the program, students are expected to:
- perform the tasks of an entry level surgical technologist.
- demonstrate skills necessary in specialty surgical procedures.
- explain anesthesia complications and interventions.
- practice independent clinical judgement.
- demonstrate knowledge of equipment, supplies, and instrumentation across multiple specialties.
- practice effective oral and written communication in the healthcare environment.
- complete the national board exam to become a Certified Surgical Technologist.
|BIO 208||Anatomy and Physiology II||4|
|ENG 101||College Composition I (MOTR ENGL 100)||3|
|PSY 200||General Psychology (MOTR PSYC 100)||3|
|or SOC 101||Introduction to Sociology (MOTR SOCI 101)|
|ST 104||Pharmacology for Surgical Technologists||2|
|ST 105||Fundamentals of Surgical Technology||4|
|ST 108||Introduction to Surgical Technology||6|
|ST 109||Principles of Operating Room Communication||2|
|ST 110||Surgical Procedures I||4|
|ST 111||Surgical Technology Clinical I||8|
|ST 210||Surgical Procedures II||2|
|ST 211||Surgical Technology Clinical II||4|
|Total Credit Hours||42|